Admittedly so I have unsuccessfully committed to several blogs that I developed specifically to document my study abroad experience in Seoul, SK, my experiences as an urban educator in a DC high school and various graduate school projects.
I promise this one will be different as I will devote commentary on various topics including the journey that I am on at present. So what is this journey I speak of?
Currently I am pursuing a Doctorate in Education Administration and Policy Studies at The George Washington University. This in itself is a major accomplishment as I entered the Cohort at 25 years of age and I plan to be Dr Mathura before I'm 30. Education is a major platform for me personally and professionally, so my decision to undertake this degree was literally the next logical step for me.
Furthermore its is a year after I left the chaotic underworld of the District of Columbia Public School System, where I taught high school English for 4 years. I have to convey that I have significant post traumatic stress from that profession, yet I still seem to be battling the trials and tribulations of an urban educator. Education equity will always be an important aspect of my career because the foundation of which was established, for me at least, upon the crumbling pillars of the inner city, high risk, low performing students. Those of which may never be able to achieve the experiences of mobility and opportunity, nor will they have the awareness that they deserve such things.
At present I teach at the University of the District of Columbia where I encounter much of the same issues that drove me away from DCPS, yet here I find the freedom and autonomy that an educator must possess in order to have creative license in her classroom. How long will I be here and what is my next step?
... You will just have to stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment