Friday, October 14, 2011

❤ Soul Mates



What is a soul mate and how do you know they belong to you?

This week I caught an old episode of my favorite new obsession "1 Girl, 5 Gays" and one of the questions asked by the host was whether the panel believed in soul mates. The idea of fate was brought up in being the catalyst for finding your other half. I totally agree, but I have a different take on the concept.

Firstly the idea that a higher power brought certain people together at a specific time and place for a special reason is absolutely believable. The fact that coincidence is the counterargument for finding a soulmate is unconvincing. I believe a particular person is in my life for a reason and God is the reason for any and all of my blessings, even a special person in my life.

So that being said, I don't think one person is supposed to be your soul mate. Yes I'm a Ploy-amorous believer in soul mates. Furthermore I think a soul mate is not necessarily your life partner... so I am a Pan- Soul mate?? This has been my experience in life thus far because not only have I not found the Love-Of-My-Life, the one intended to be my life partner, but I have found others who I serendipitously connect with and whom I would not be without on this life journey.

Whether it is a sibling, a pet, a Lover a spouse, that person was brought into your life for some type of emotional connections. Its great to have a source of love and support that is unconditional, and wherever one may find it... more power to them.

Which brings me to my Soul Mates, the people who I cannot be without at this stage of life, who were there for me in High School, college and who I cannot see as part of my future... my best friends. Maybe I should call these women my soul sisters, and even though we are friends, we may as well be family.

We Love each other, we aggravate each other, offer support, encouragement, advice and unconditional friendship. We've been through amazing times and and terrible times, and one thing remained consistent, our ability to remain friends over time and distance. We've survived illness, death, heartbreak... celebrated holidays, new jobs, achievements together. They love the people I love and we created a big rainbow family together. I dont think I've ever asked something of them and they have not said enthusiastically "yes."

Whether it was fate or coincidence that brought us together, it is commitment, it is love and it is our choice to stay in each other's lives. I'm lucky to not only have the both of them, but their support in me finding my true Soul Mate and life partner. God brought us together, three different girls with similar values and I I have tremendous faith in the Lord's ability to introduce me to another wonderful person.

I don't know where the journey in life is going to lead, and who else it will lead me to. But I am so glad that I'm not traveling down that path alone and I have my bet friends, and soul mates at my side... and thus far I've been tremendously blessed.



1 comment: