Previous entries of this blog have been incredibly personal,
often sharing my adventures in various social, spiritual, academic and
romantic pursuits. While these have not always been easy to share, it sure has
been cathartic to do a mental release of things unrelated to my dissertation.
In this edition, I will be discussing a part of my journey that never occurred to
me to write about because having pride in your appearance can be seemingly vain.
But it has taken me my whole life (almost 30 years) to rid myself of self conscious tendencies and negative associations with not being what is considered a normal size. I think self reflection is necessary to my evolutionary process to acknowledge my physical transformation, and the emotional toll it takes to accomplish what I have done. Evidently I do not give myself the credit I deserve and I have been accused of making everything look so easy, but I assure you the hard work is constant and continual and internal struggles and anxieties still exist.
But it has taken me my whole life (almost 30 years) to rid myself of self conscious tendencies and negative associations with not being what is considered a normal size. I think self reflection is necessary to my evolutionary process to acknowledge my physical transformation, and the emotional toll it takes to accomplish what I have done. Evidently I do not give myself the credit I deserve and I have been accused of making everything look so easy, but I assure you the hard work is constant and continual and internal struggles and anxieties still exist.
The picture I have posted is the second in a series of
Before & After images of “who I was” and “who I am now/who I am improving.”
Note that I will avoid using the term “weight loss” because I am acknowledging
the transformative process of the whole person, and what I have GAINED as a
result of positive life changes. The first picture was taken five years ago at
a club in Boston on New Years Eve. The second picture was last week on a random
Thursday night, off to have drinks with a gentleman, something I would have
never done if I looked like I did in the first picture. While the bulk of my
physical transformation occurred around the beginning of 2012, I have still
been on a constant quest for self-improvement.
When I look at these two pictures I have multiple and
complex feelings for them both. Mostly it is a shocking image because while
was that girl 5 years ago, I knew I was bigger than the norm, but i didnt realize how I truly felt because I put on a veneer of happiness, confidence and distracted myself with work. I never realized how
deeply ingrained my insecurities were and how much I held myself back out of
fear. I didn’t know the real me was buried under anxiety, self doubt, self
consciousness and unhappiness. I never knew how far I could go, how much I
needed to change, how amazing I would feel after some hard work and a few life
changes. I sometimes don’t realize how much I have changed. I still feel like the only big girl in the room and revert back to being uncomfortable in my own skin. Other times I get
confused as to why attractive guys ask me out or seek my attention, I even pick
up large sizes to try on when I go shopping, but mostly I still have to work on the emotional progress in achieving such a transformation.
Mostly I still have a complicated relationship with food because the “Before” picture terrifies me of ever becoming that girl again. Although I know I will always be curvacious, I never want to go back to being big. I look at women in public, struggling through the day to do normal things like walk and not be out of breath, climb stairs, fit into public seating comfortably and I know that they would be so happy even 10 lbs lighter. The most confident plus sized woman, has these same insecurities, and I know they if given a choice they would want to have a normal or healthy size over obesity. I know because I was that woman once, and every day I am scared that if I have a bout of depression, anxiety or anything caused by stress I could possibly revert to unhealthy habits, and I am a few sizes away from being that girl again.
Mostly I still have a complicated relationship with food because the “Before” picture terrifies me of ever becoming that girl again. Although I know I will always be curvacious, I never want to go back to being big. I look at women in public, struggling through the day to do normal things like walk and not be out of breath, climb stairs, fit into public seating comfortably and I know that they would be so happy even 10 lbs lighter. The most confident plus sized woman, has these same insecurities, and I know they if given a choice they would want to have a normal or healthy size over obesity. I know because I was that woman once, and every day I am scared that if I have a bout of depression, anxiety or anything caused by stress I could possibly revert to unhealthy habits, and I am a few sizes away from being that girl again.
When I look at the “After” version of myself, at times I can
see my mom!
But mainly I see a version of myself that I have learned to love,
and I think that is the hardest part of the journey. I see someone who has been
through so much more that I am willing to share on this platform, someone who
has worked hard on many areas of her life and who is proud of the journey she
is on. I’ve learned to forgive myself for harboring insecurities for so long, I’ve
learned to look past my own flaws and appreciate scars as evidence of survival.
Now I now what I am worth, I know who deserves to share my time and my life,
and I know that I can always turn a challenge into a learning experience. Most
importantly I know that the acquisition of my own happiness, unconsciously
permits others to celebrate whatever accomplishments they have made for the
sake of transformation. Again I am not discussing this topic from the perspective of physical vanity, but the entire process that has imparted major life lessons.
As always I enjoy delving into the mysteries of my transformative nature as a complex being, and as always I will use the astrological lens as a metaphor for my own transformation. Of course I can debate the western ideals of beauty and how exotic women of color are held to impossible standards through feminist, post structural or modernist standpoints, but astrologically is truly is the best way for me to understand my own nature and purpose, plus its so much more fun! In the last several years I have been working on literally every aspect of myself, including professional, spiritual, social, academic, emotional, sexual and physical. While all but the last have been for the most part work I have done internally, the physical is the only tangible reflection of my progress. Without disclosing the numerical value of weight I’ve shed, I will divulge that I am smaller than my high school ‘dress size’ and not only am I below an American size 10, I can fit into child size leggings.
Transformation is an inherent quality of SCORPIO.
Despite being fixed in many of our attributes, the process
of renewal is essential to becoming our best selves. Our highest symbolic form
is the phoenix, literally a celestial creature ablaze in purposeful passion, in
order to emerge from its own ashes a new and better than its former self. Scorpion
elemental energy is water, which can be dramatic
in its intensity and purpose, relentless in its goal seeking nature, reflecting
a person with great inner strength, and ability to endure and emerge from
difficult situations.

For most people it takes an external transformation to trigger an internal one. On the other hand, some folks go through physical transformations, ignore the other aspects of themselves that need to change (i.e. spiritual, mental, etc.) then wonder why they are still unhappy. Everything begins with a thought and perhaps had you had the thoughts you associate with your "new" self in the old, fantastic you, you would have been enjoying all you do now. Since I knew you, pre-transformation, I thought you were beautiful and amazing then and so did a shit load of other people. The thing that changed was you, now you know how fantastic you are because you are thinking about yourself differently. And sometimes we need a physical trigger to get there, whether it's weightless, a new hairdo, a new wardrobe, a new car, whatever. Sometimes transformation is triggered by "losing" people, places, and situations that were detrimental and oppressive--preventing a person from experiencing the true happiness and liberty that is out there for all of us. I would say losing this "weight" triggered my transformation.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your wonderful and insightful comment Christina and I absolutely agree. For everyone it is a different journey and some people neglect the areas where they really need to improve, and I think at our age especially, we need to take inventory of the unnecessary weight or baggage that has been holding us back... whether it was physical, emotional, professional etc. Also I do not think people should stop learning and growing, but some people have a hard time putting in that work! I'm so glad we both are on amazing life journeys and we are both respectively acquiring happiness on our own terms, we deserve it! xx
Delete